The coronavirus has pushed Brexit on to the back burner but obviously the process is still going ahead and there will be changes for British citizens in the Balearics in the near future.

A new residence card will be issued for British citizens, possibly this year, replacing the so-called green certificate which is issued only to citizens of the European Union. But that is in the future and the Foreign Office in Spain is continuing to advise British citizens to get registered and become a resident. British ambassador, Hugh Elliott and Consul General Lloyd Milen, both stressed this residency point in an interview with the Bulletin yesterday.

The ambassador said that the process to change your residence permit from the green certificate to the new residence permit would be like renewing your driving licence and he indicated that he foresaw few problems with the process. The Spanish Foreigner´s Department has now reopened again and British citizens can book an appointment, a move which was welcomed yesterday by British Consul General, Lloyd Milen. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said that he wants British citizens to “feel at ease and at home” after the Brexit process. Issuing new residency permits to more than 300,000 British citizens living in Spain will be a long process but the Spanish government has said that they will be recruiting more staff at Foreigner´s Departments across the country. Interesting times.


The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of

Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted'); - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.


Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.

* Mandatory fields

Derek Hand / Hace 22 days

Catalina, thanks !


Catalina / Hace 24 days

Derek, my understanding is that the appointment mentioned in the above article is just for those who still have to obtain their green Certificado. I also understand that the new residence cards won’t be issued until later this year and appointments for those cannot yet be made. Presumably the MDB will advise of the details in due course....?


Derek Hand / Hace 25 days

Dear Catalina, the only document that I have is the light green A4 that says “Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión”, which is the one you so kindly mention. This then is the document that will need to replace in the near future. Would you be kind enough to give us a contact number to enable us to book an appointment ?. Thanks for your help.


Catalina / Hace 25 days

Derek, the Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión (a green certificate or card) is issued to citizens of all EU countries for residence purposes, not just to British citizens. I.e. German, French, Italian, Dutch, Belgian etc citizens resident in Spain also have to have one. However, now that the UK has left the EU your Certificado will have to be replaced by a Permiso de Residencia (residence permit) which is issued to citizens of all non-EU countries, presumably at the end of the transition phase. I hope this helps to clarify.


Derek Hand / Hace 28 days

Mr Moore, I was under the impression that the green certificate ( why so called ? ) was only issued to British citizens due to not having national identity cards and not being in Schengen. It would be very useful if you could clarify this and also give your readers more in-depth information rather than skirting around the edges. Thank you.