Hugo Chavez, re-elected with a ten per cent majority as President of Venezuela after fighting cancer for three years. Chavez is not liked and is even feared by the United States and some European countries as a disruptive force in South and Central America and more widely. But the poor people of Venezuela and elsewhere in Latin America see him as someone who will on balance improve their lives and restore the independence of their countries.
Person of the week.
Also in Holiday
- Supermarket shop in Mallorca 70% more expensive than a year ago
- Balearics is for sale, over 91 hotels on the market
- Strikes at Spain's airports over the festive period
- You no longer have to remove liquids, electronic device from your hand luggage at Palma airport
- Palma town hall cannot stop demolition of beach restaurant, say environmentalists