BY Monitor QUEEN Elizabeth became the oldest monarch to sit on the English throne when she reached the age of 81 years and 244 days and passed the lifespan of Queen Victoria. Jacob Zuma was elected leader of South Africa's ruling African National Congress despite allegations of corruption and misconduct against him. He defeated South Africa's president, Thabo Mbeki, who remains in office until 2009. Sean Hoey was acquitted of all charges against him for the 1998 bombing of Omagh in Northern Ireland in which 29 people were killed. The judge criticised the handling of the prosecution by the police. Japan's whaling fleet called off its hunt for the endangered humpback whale. The decision followed a threat by Australia to track the fleet and report its activities.
THE WEEK THAT WAS
Also in Holiday
- British man has 100,000 pound watch ripped from his wrist in central Palma
- 11 million tourists to ditch their Spanish holidays due to higher costs
- Indian summer in Mallorca, but will it last?
- Cyclist dies in Mallorca's mountains
- Spain is the only country in Europe which still has Covid restrictions for British travellers