One of the oldest fairs on the island is the one which has been held in Muro on the first Sunday after Easter since 1714, although the tradition dates back even further. Today's events start with what the programme describes as a ‘slalom’ in Calle Joan Palau at 9.30am. There will be games for children and pensioners in the Plaza Comte d'Empurias at 10am, and rockets will be released at 5pm. At 5.45pm, an exhibition of handicrafts will be opened at the Convent cloister and a dressage show will be held at the bullring at 6pm. The bullring at Muro is unusual in that it was carved out of a quarry. In the evening, there will be Majorcan dancing at 7.30pm, followed by a fiesta at 10pm with a concert and fireworks. On Sunday, pipers will be out and about from 9am, calling people to the livestock exhibition, including a dog show and exotic birds. There will also be exhibitions of machinery and farm equipment. The local band will give a concert in the Calle Santa Anna at 8pm. The fair is in honour of St Francis de Paul. The Minims arrived in Muro in 1584 and started to celebrate the feast of St Francis. They used to preach in the area and visited the local farms, inviting people to join in the celebrations, which were moved to the first Sunday after Easter in 1714. In 1836, the Mayor tried to have it stopped because of a dispute with the local priest, but the Civil Governor of the day over-ruled him and the tradition was maintained.


To be able to write a comment, you have to be registered and be logged in.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.