The number of jobless in the Balearics at the end of September rose by 502 compared to the previous month, putting the total number at 16'241, or 4.65 per cent of the work force. The Balearics was one of ten regions in which unemployment rose, and the increase was higher than the state average of 2.02 per cent. However, the percentage of the work force out of work is still the lowest in the country, where nationwide the figure is 8.81 per cent. The number of jobless in the Balearics is ten per cent higher than September 2000, according to the ministry of labour. The figure of 502 is split into 26 men and 476 women, and the rate of unemployment among women is more than double that of men. Unemployment rose in agriculture and tourism but dropped in industry and construction.
Number of jobless up by 502 in September
Also in News
- Woman dies while sunbathing on Mallorcan beach
- British driving licence deal could be "tied to agreement over Gibraltar"
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close", British ambassador gives update
- Balearic alert as Britons start to put the brakes on international holidays
- A night of heavy rain and destruction in Mallorca