Palma's Son Castello was hit by fire again yesterday with another furniture warehouse completely destroyed by flames. There were no injuries, apparently the warehouse was empty at the time as the staff had just gone to lunch, but the fire, which started at 1.45pm, left parts of the industrial estate and nearby residential areas without power for the best part of an hour. Fire fighters and police evacuated all neighbouring warehouses as a precautionary measure in case the flames started to spread. Three fire trucks and fire fighters were at the scene within minutes and battled the blaze from the front, back and side of the burning warehouse as evacuated members of staff and the distraught managers of the furniture store looked on in horror - the thick column of smoke could be seen from across Palma. But within 15 minutes of the fire breaking out, it was clear to fire chiefs that the 600 square metre building could not be saved and that attention turned to extinguishing the blaze and protecting adjacent warehouses as extra fire fighters were called in from other stations. 45 minutes after the blaze started, the roof collapsed and the fire was declared under control at 14.30. Engineers inspected the building before the 26 fire fighters involved in the operation were allowed on to the site and amongst the remains to battle the smouldering fire. Not only was the building gutted by the blaze, its entire contents were destroyed and fire fighters did not leave the scene until 9pm, seven hours after the fire started. Inside the warehouse was also a trailer of furniture which arrived from Valencia on Wednesday evening and should have been unloaded on Thursday, had it not been a public holiday - that too was destroyed. The blaze caused minor damage to three neighbouring warehouses. The cause of the fire has yet to be confirmed, but sources for the police said yesterday that it may have been caused by a short circuit. A full investigation is to be carried out as concerns grow over safety on the industrial estate which has been hit by a spate of serious fires over the past two years. This was the second furniture warehouse to have been destroyed by fire this year.
The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of mallorcadailybulletin.com.
Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted');
mallorcadailybulletin.com - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.
Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.