By Humphrey Carter
THREE people were injured, two seriously, in a multiple accident along the Palma to Calogne road yesterday lunchtime, just hours after new measures to improve road safety were announced.

The accident, in the district of Santanyi happened at 1.30pm and fire fighters had to cut all three victims, all believed to be foreigners, free from the wreckage of both vehicles before they were rushed to Manacor hospital.

An eyewitness said at the scene it was a miracle no-one was killed in the accident which left one of the vehicles involved upside in a ditch.
This year's road accident toll has set alarm bells ringing in the Balearics.
On Monday, the Spanish government announced that a points system similar to that in the UK is to be introduced in Spain and yesterday, Balearic traffic police chiefs announced the latest local road safety initiative.

In association with Sa Nostra and the Social Services Institute, around 1'500 drivers aged over 65 are to attend refresher courses.
The four hour sessions have been designed to inform the over 65*s of the new traffic laws while also drawing their attention to the dangers of driving while suffering from any medical ailments, under the influence of medication and the importance of regular sight, hearing and reflex check ups.

For example, how many drivers who need glasses for driving, over or under the age of 65, know they should always carry a spare set of glasses in the car? A driver was fined for failing to carry a spare pair on the mainland just a few weeks ago.

Regional road safety boss Antoni Femenía, said yesterday that these courses are going to prove very helpful for the over 65*s. He said that there are 200'000 in the Balearics and the vast majority drive. “There is a greater risk of having an accident in the 65 to 70 age group and, of course, the injuries are also much more serious,” he said.
Femenía added that by the year 2025, more than 25 percent of the population in Europe will be over 65 “so they need attention.” So far this year, 60 people have been killed on the roads in the Balearics. Balearic traffic police chief Francisco Ruiz Peralta stressed the need for everything possible to be done to reduce the death toll and increase safety on the roads.

Comments

The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of mallorcadailybulletin.com.

Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted');

mallorcadailybulletin.com - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.

Warning

Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.