by Staff Reporter
TWENTY people were evacuated when a fire broke out in the kitchen of an apartment in a block in Santa Ponsa, but the occupants escaped uninjured and even managed to save their pet, a hamster called Coco.

The flat was occupied by British tourists, who were awakened by thick smoke.
The Calvia fire brigade rushed to the scene and they battled for 40 minutes before the fire was finally extinguished at 8.30am.
The Local Police helped evacuate the occupants of the block of flats, about 20 people in all.
It is not known how the fire started, as the occupants of the flat said that they were asleep.
Firemen will conduct an investigation.
Material damage was confined to the kitchen which was gutted, although one of the neighbours said that the heat of the fire passed through a wall of her flat, causing some damage.

Her husband was one of the neighbours who helped fight the fire when the alarm was first raised.
Alex, one of the British occupants of the flat, said that everything happened so suddenly she barely had time to rescue her pet hamster Coco, which slept through all the excitement, curled up in its cage, and yesterday was none the worse for wear.

Comments

To be able to write a comment, you have to be registered and be logged in.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.