News desk
THE body of the 13-year-old British boy who died after collapsing while on holiday with his parents on the neighbouring island of Minorca on Wedneday is to be flown home.

He has been named as Alexandros Antonopoulos, 13, from Porthcawl, North Wales.
He was taken ill early on Wednesday in the resort of Santo Tomas and he later died in the hotel where he had been staying with his family.
According to Spanish police, he had been reportedly involved in drinking with other youngsters.
A post-mortem examination is to be carried out to determine the cause of death but the result will not be known until toxicology tests have been carried out in Madrid..

Sources said that the autopsy revealed that the immediate cause of death was cardio-respiratory arrest, but further tests will be carried out to determine the level of alcohol in the blood at the time of the death. As a result, the investigators have said that it cannot be affirmed that the initial cause of death was an alcohol-induced coma.

One report said the boy became ill just before midnight and a doctor was called, who told the parents to put him to bed and stay with him to control any vomiting.

In the early hours, his condition worsened and his father helped him to the toilet, where he collapsed. Efforts to revive him failed.
The circumstances of the boy's death have shocked the island, which, like Majorca, has been cracking down on under age drinking over the last 12 months.

A statement from tour operator Thomson drew attention to the fact that the cause of death was as yet unknown.
It added: “A full investigation is being carried out. Thomson is helping the police with their inquiries.” Lorena Gomez Sanchez, manageress of the supermarket only 200 yards from the hotel, “It's not us who sold these boys the drink I am sure of that.” Local medic, Dr Juan Pedro, said, “This is a quiet place, but we are seeing more and more evidence of drinking by young British teenagers and it's very worrying.” The teenager's uncle Anthony Hontoir, speaking from his home in Porthcawl, said that Alexandros was “a dearly loved member of the family who was full of life”.

He said: “He was keen on sports, good at work, and had a promising future. The loss of the family is beyond words. It's the worst nightmare you could encounter. ”We're still reeling from the fact that this has happened, we're going to work through this bereavement as a family once everyone's together again.” Alexandros, an only child, had been on the last night of a holiday with his parents and Mr Hontoir's 15-year-old son.
His parents travelled home yesterday and Alexandros' body is expected to be flown back today.
Mr Hontoir said: “They are at an address that they do not wish to give out. They have asked to be left alone. They just want to grieve in private.” He said that he had not yet spoken to them about the circumstances of Alexandros's death. He added that some of the speculation about exactly what had happened was “rather misleading”.

Alexandros was due to start at St Clare's Convent School in Porthcawl next month, while his former school, St John's, issued a statement saying it had heard of the death “with great sadness”. “The school wishes to express its condolences to the family for their tragic loss,” it said.

The Guardia Civil in Minorca have opened an investigation to determine who sold the alcohol to the group of minors.

Comments

To be able to write a comment, you have to be registered and be logged in.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.