by Staff Reporter
MAJORCAN hotels will start to close for the winter from October 15, because of a huge drop in the number of visitors, according to Pere Cañellas, chairman of the hoteliers federation.

He said yesterday that by the end of this month, only about 30 percent of the hotels will remain open.
He went on to say that there will be very few hotels open in winter, as usual, with the exception of Palma, to meet the demand of Spanish tourists and pensioners on subsidised holidays.

Cañellas said that September had been “considerably better” than the same month last year, not so much for the occupancy rates but because the hoteliers had “worked with better prices and there had not been the market pressure of other years to launch offers.” He added that the offers had not started to appear until the end of September, thanks to the fact that the market had “settled down” at the beginning of July. There had been more pressure to launch offers in April, May and June, he said.

Cañellas also said that there would be an increase of the all inclusive offer next season, although he stressed that the number of hotels which could offer this type of deal was only between 15 and 17 percent.

He claimed that the advance of the all inclusive holiday in Majorca was “unstoppable” and it would be “useless” to try and stop “such an important trend in the market.” For next season, he said that more money should be spent on promotion in potential markets. There should be “more promotion, more communication, more acts,” while the hoteliers should realise that they must “offer quality, quality and quality.”

Comments

To be able to write a comment, you have to be registered and be logged in.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.