Staff Reporter
FROM March onwards people living in Majorca will be able to adopt an animal that has been abandoned and subsequently collected by the Municipal Animal Collection Centre at Son Reus through the internet, said the Health and Safety councillor for the Palma City Council, Marina Sans.

Her department is currently developing a website so that they can make the animal adoption process easier for people living on the island and thus save more of the abandoned animals' lives.

On this website there will be pages with all the animals, mainly cats and dogs, that are currently being held by the Son Reus Centre and which people can adopt. The website will be constantly kept up-to-date.

Those people who are interested in adopting an abandoned animal will have the option to see all pictures and information of all the animals that are available at Son Reus. There will be a photo of each animal along with some basic information on the animal (e.g. age, if they carry a microchip etc..).

Once a person has chosen an animal by using this new technology, all they will have to do is phone Son Reus direct to inform them of their decision and to let them know when they will be coming to collect the chosen animal.

In the last few years only 30 percent of all animals collected by Son Reus were given new homes. The remaining 70 percent were put down after a fortnight. Each year Son Reus welcomes around 4'000 animals to the shelter who are all in need of a good loving home.

At the centre the animals receive medical attention and are well looked after while they are there. However the centre only has the capacity to look after an abandoned animal for 15 days, after this the animal has to be put down to make room for more animals in need of a space.

On average three or four animals per day at Son Reus are given new homes and with this new website it is hoped that the figures will increase dramatically. People usually abandon animals at the beginning and at the end of summer.

Next month Son Reus will also start to build a new centre which will be used to carry out educational activities on the environment, said Sans.
The centre will be up and working during the year and will have enough space to accommodate 60 students at one time. Many different schools regularly visit the Son Reus Centre, added Sans.

The Son Reus animal centre has planted 180 trees in the area in the last few weeks, confirmed the councillor.

Comments

The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of mallorcadailybulletin.com.

Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted');

mallorcadailybulletin.com - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.

Warning

Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.