BALEARIC maritime investigators launched an investigation yesterday into a fire which gutted four luxury yachts moored in the Club de Mar in Palma late on Tuesday night
Experts say that the fire, which broke out aboard the yacht Eco 1caused damage valued at more than five million euros.
The most probable cause of the blaze was an electrical short circuit aboard by a generator on Eco 1 . The flames then spread to engulf the other three yachts which were moored either side.
Club de Mar officials raised the alarm at about 11p.m. with units from the Palma fire brigade rushing to the scene along with local police.
By this stage the 20 metre Eco 1 was burning quite dramatically with the flames spreading to C'est la Vie, Santana III, and Koffy. The fire brigade extinguished the blaze by early yesterday morning, after working for more than three hours.
Later yesterday experts from the Palma fire brigade and police divers examinated the wreckage of the yachts to establish the exact cause of the blaze. They also contacted the owners of the yachts.
Yesterday, eye-witnesses told the Bulletin that the fire caused alarm along the Paseo Maritimo. One said that he feared that the flames would spread to even more yachts.
It was quite a spectacle. The flames lit-up most of the Bay of Palma. The police at one stage sealed off some parts of the Paseo Maritimo, he said.
The Club de Mar is home to some of the world's leading super-yachts including the Lady Moura, and the beautiful sailing yacht Creole which is owned by the Gucci family.
K The fire caused damage estimated at more than five million euros, according to the fire brigade, who believe that it was caused by an electrical short circuit in a generator. Yesterday, the fire brigade continued with their investigation