News desk
NEARLY 21 per cent of the 40'998 foreign workers inscribed in the social security register in the Balearics are employed in the construction sector, according to the latest figures from the ministry of labour.

At the end of last February, 69 per cent of the foreign workers in the Balearics (28'324 persons) were inscribed in the general social security register as employees, 21.9 per cent (9'009 persons) were self employed, 6.3 per cent (2'620 persons) were home helps, 2.3 per cent (970) worked in agriculture and 0.1 per cent (75 persons) in fishing.

After construction, the highest number of foreign workers, 5'335, was to be found in the hotel sector, representing 13 per cent of the total, followed at a distance by commerce and car repairs (3'948 or 9.6 per cent of the total).

As to nationalities, the ministry said that 42.5 per cent of the workers, 17'422 persons, belong to European Union countries and the remaining 23'576 or 57.5 per cent, are from outside the European Union.

The biggest group of foreign workers in the Balearics is the Germans, with 15.9 per cent (6'545 persons), nearly half of whom are self employed.
The second largest group is from Morocco (12.8 per cent or 5'264 workers), followed by Ecuador (9.3 per cent or 3'845 persons).
The British account for nine per cent of the total with 3'692 workers, the report said.

Comments

The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of mallorcadailybulletin.com.

Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted');

mallorcadailybulletin.com - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.

Warning

Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.