Motorway works

CALVIA
THE motorway works on the Palmanova to Paguera road are in full swing and will not be completed until April 2006. Around 100 construction workers and 31 different types of machinery are working on this huge project which will turn the single lane road into a two-lane motorway. The project is a complicated one as it has to co-exist with the traffic that passes through this area. It is made all the more complicated because the area is rather hilly. Furthermore the project will also extend the Calvia Paseo, which will run parallel to the new motorway. Traffic on this road is always heavy and traffic problems have been made all the more difficult because of the motorway construction works.

New artwork

ANDRATX
THE cultural centre in Andratx will be showing a group of works by German artists tomorrow until 22 June. The show will be called “The real disasters” and will join together team works and individual pieces of artwork from several German artists. This exhibition will be showing in the art gallery of the cultural centre. The artists taking part in this exhibition are Abel Auer, Armin Kramer, Dorota Jurczak, Miriam Tolke and Tjorg Beer.

Pilot project

ARTA
AROUND 450 residents older than 16 years in Colonia de Sant Jordi will take part in the decisions for investment in this area. This pilot plan is being run by Arta town council, who for the first time ever are allowing the residents to decide on how to spend 60'000 euros to improve the area. Leaflets have been sent to the homes of people living in Colonia de Sant Jordi, s'Estanyol, Betlem and other country villages, so that residents can mark their choices of which initiatives they deem the most important. Julian Adrian, councillor for Residents Participation Department, said that because this is a pilot project, there are sure to be errors. These errors will be taken into account for future projects, as long as enough people take part in the initiative.

New bin services

PORRERES
THE Porreres town council and the Council of Majorca are working together on an initiative that they hope will reduce the amount of rubbish that is sent to the incinerator by half. Currently the area produces around 2'000 tonnes of rubbish per year and with this pioneering project it is hoped to reduce the amount to 1'000 tonnes per year, said the Mayor of Porreres, Joan Sastre. To achieve these aims, this initiative will introduce a door-to-door rubbish collection service in the area. From the 9 to 16 May the door-to-door rubbish collection will be in force and all residents are welcome at meetings that will be held to inform them about the workings of this system. The main change to bin services, will be the introduction of a brown bin, where residents can dispose of organic waste. Residents will also receive three bin bags where they will place any cardboard, paper and glass. Organic waste will be collected three days a week (Sunday, Wednesday and Friday), plastic collection will be on Mondays, glass, paper and cardboard collections will be on Thursdays and all non-recycable waste will be collected on Tuesdays. It is important that all residents collaborate in this project so that it is a success, said the President of the Council of Majorca, Maria Antonia Munar.

Lighting improvements

FELANITX
THE Felanitx town council and the Ministry for Commerce, Industry and Energy are working together to improve the lighting situation in sa Punta district. The Minister Josep Juan Cardona and the Mayoress of Felanitx, Catalina Soler yesterday visited these works that will improve lighting in the municipal market and at Plaza Comerç de Portocolom. The Balearic Government is funding 70 percent of this project and the remaining 30 percent is being funded by Felanitx town council.

Comments

The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of mallorcadailybulletin.com.

Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted');

mallorcadailybulletin.com - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.

Warning

Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.