By Humphrey Carter

PHOTOS: W. PETERS
CALVIA Council came under fire from the opposition Socialists yesterday for allowing the Casino to relocate to Palma.
The Socialist candidate for Mayor, Alfonso Rodriguez, said that allowing the casino to go is a “severe blow to the resort which has been hit by the worst recession in its history.” He described the move as yet another example of the council's “failure to govern which has cost the resort's business, commercial and tourism sectors dearly, Rodriguez said before attacking the council for allowing tourism businesses to either close or leave the municipality. Last November, the Socialists with the full backing and support of other local parties, tabled a motion that the local council, with the collaboration of the Calvia hotel sector and the owners of the Casino, meet to try and resolve the issue and secure the Casino's future in the resort. “But sadly, ever since then, the council has done nothing. “One thing is voting in the council chamber, but the other is being proactive and working to help protect and stabilise the local tourism and business sectors,” he said.

Rodriguez wants Calvia Council to make one final attempt to prevent the casino from relocating to the Porto Pi complex in Palma, but it may be too late.

The green light for the move was given on December 23 and the plan is to have the new Palma Casino operating as quickly as possible.
The tourism sector in Calvia fears that the loss of the Casino will significantly reduce the resort's appeal and will also shrink the variety of attractions available for holidaymakers.

Comments

To be able to write a comment, you have to be registered and be logged in.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.