Palma.—Over the past week the investigation into an alleged corruption case involving the Duke, Iñaki Urdangarin who is married to the King of Spain's youngest daughter Princess Cristina, and his associates diverting public funds for personal profits through his “Noos Institute” has taken a number of unexpected turns.

First of all, the Spanish royal household on Saturday removed the section covering the Duke from its official website.
Most references to Urdangarin and the majority of photos of the Duke, except those which appear on the biography of his wife have also been taken down in a further attempt from the Spanish royal household to distance themselves from him.

He was separated from official royal family duty in December 2011 for “non-exemplary behavior,” a month after news of the scandal broke and in his Christmas speech to the nation that year, the King made reference to the case by insisting that, “justice is the same for everyone.” Then, the Palma judge investigating the case, Jose Castro, summoned the secretary to Spain's Princesses Cristina and elder sister Elena as a suspect in the corruption investigation.

The source said the judge would question Garcia about his links to Cristina's husband Iñaki Urdangarin and his involvement in the Noos Institute, a charitable organisation that Urdangarin chaired from 2004 to 2006.

Urdangarin, 45, who became Duke of Palma when he wed Cristina in 1997, is suspected along with his former business partner Diego Torres of syphoning off millions of euros paid by regional governments, in particular the Balearic and Valencia regional governments, to Noos for staging sporting and tourism events.

The money allegedly went to for-profit companies and offshore accounts under his control.
The duke, a former Olympic handball player, was questioned by judge Jose Castro in February 2012 and has been called to appear again on February 23 to answer questions about tax evasion.

He has denied any wrongdoing and has not been charged with any crime but yesterday, in response to the “indignation” of the people of Palma, the City Council announced that the street named in honour of the Duke and Duchess when they got married, is to be taken down and La Rambla will revert to its original name.

The spokesperson for Palma City Council, Julio Martinez, said yesterday that over the past couple of days the council has become increasingly aware of the general public's feelings about the Duke's implication in the corruption scandal and we have decided to respect the wishes of the people.” The mayor, Mateu Isern, has apparently informed the royal household which in turn expressed its respect for the council's decision.
The Council took the decision just hours after Judge Jose Castro set bail for Urdangarin and his former partner who has so far used his constitutional right to remain silent in court, Diego Torres at 8'189'448 euros.

Castro has also given them five days to post civil bail or the bailiffs will be sent in to embargo properties and bank accounts.
The Duke and Torres do have a maximum period of five days to appeal to the Balearic High Court.