PUIGPUNYENT council (Majorca) had won first prize in the competition for Energy Efficiency and Sustainability run by the power company Gesa Endesa. The prize is 40'000 euros, half in actual money and half in materials to achieve the projects started by the prize winner, which is a condition of the prize. The second and third prizes, of 30'000 and 20'000 euros respectively, subject to the same conditions as the first prize, were won by the councils of Manacor and Vilafranca. The results were announced yesterday by the company. The competition aims to increase awareness of the efficient use of energy in local corporations as amplifiers for the citizens and through the prizes to try to encourage improvements in efficiency, saving and optimisation of energy and to facilitate the incorporation of renewable energies. As for the Puigpunyent council, they have put in place things like substituting normal bulbs in street lamps for energy saving ones which also reduce light contamination. They have also started campaigns for the installation of solar panels to heat water and for other forms of renewable energy.
Energy saving prize for Puigpunyent
Also in News
- Class at Palma school sent home for displaying the Spanish flag
- Property sales tax could rise by as much as 50 percent in Spain
- Amber Heard helps put Mallorca on the global map
- Just passed his test, and four times over the limit
- Spain gives insight into some of the requirements for Nomad visa. Life in the sun awaits