A 49-year-old man was yesterday admitted to hospital in Palma in a critical condition after his apartment in Son Ferrer, Calvia, caught fire as he slept in the bedroom.

His wife had apparently just left the building to go shopping when the blaze broke out at 9am and the victim was on his own inside the property.
According to the emergency services the victim had inhaled a great deal of smoke and was very lucky to have been found alive.
The alarm was raised by neighbours but by the time fire fighters reached the scene, there was little they could do to save the lounge which had been totally gutted by the blaze which had also caused considerable damage to the rest of the apartment and parts of the building leading to some residents being evacuated.