Palma.—With sea temperatures rising, the annual invasion of jellyfish is anticipated and the 112 emergency centre has published thousands of leaflets containing information of what to do if stung by a jellyfish.

The most impotent thing is to wash the sting with sea water, not soft or drinking water because that can apparently increase the amount of poison in the sting.

Neither should the sting be scratched nor rubbed.
And, while towels or sand should not be used to dry and clean the sting, products like alcohol or ammonia should not be used either.
Ice can be used but only if in a tight bag, remember, only salt water can be in direct contact with the sting and the skin.
The emergency centre also recommends the use of diluted vinegar, the kind which can be bought in any store and that the solution, along with ice if being used, be applied for a period of 10 to 15 minutes every five minutes. Victims are also advised to consult their pharmacist regarding an antiseptic cream which will prevent the sting from infection.

However, should the sting provoke nausea, sickness, vomiting, head aches or muscle spasms, then the victim should be taken to hospital and if stung by a Portuguese Man-o-War, the advice is to go straight to casualty.