THE six Basque terror suspects wanted in connection with the car bomb which claimed the lives of two members of the Civil Guard in Palmanova just 10 days ago are wanted in connection with yesterday's three minor bomb blasts in Portixol and the centre of Palma, the central government delegate to the Balearics, Ramon Socias, said last night.
The first of the blasts happened at 2.40pm in the beach front Rigoletta Pizzeria in Portixol.
The restaurant was full with busy Sunday trade when the bomb, hidden in a rucksack and planted in a false ceiling in the toilets, went off.
Some eye witnesses said that initially they thought something had exploded in the kitchen but within minutes the reality of what had happened became apparent and the restaurant was evacuated.
Nobody was hurt and the police cordoned off the area within minutes as road blocks were thrown up at all entrance and exit points to the capital and part of the motorway to the airport closed.
An hour later, the second device went off in another nearby restaurant. The device had apparently been located and the whole area, including the beach in front of the GESA building, evacuated but it exploded before the Tedax bomb squad could dismantle the explosive device.
Again, there were no causalities.
Earlier in the day, ETA had made a series of calls warning that bombs were going to go off in Majorca and Andalusia between midday and 6pm and, shortly after 6pm, the third bomb exploded in the car park under Plaza Mayor in the centre of Palma.
No one was injured but a ring of steel was thrown up around the centre as police investigated another blast which occurred earlier in the day at a bar near Plaza d'España.
It may have been a gas explosion, but the security forces were ruling nothing out last night.
During the afternoon, a Plaza d'España hotel and bar were evacuated after suspicious objects were reported. But the two operations were false alarms.
Palma airport, which was closed in the wake of the Palmanova car bombing, remained open but security was significantly stepped up leading to minor delays. Last night at an 8.30pm press briefing, the central government delegate to the Balearics, Ramon Socias, said that the security forces suspect that the same people who carried out the Palmanova car bomb, are responsible for yesterday's wave of blasts in Palma.
He spent most of yesterday afternoon locked in a crisis meeting with the President of the Balearics, Francesc Antich, the acting Mayor of Palma, Eberhard Grosske and the security chiefs. Antich. condemned yesterday's attacks.
THE ring of steel around Palma was significantly tightened last night with security forces claiming that the timers recovered from the explosive devices are going to provide crucial information about when the bombs were planted and the possible movements of the terrorists.
The three blasts led to large areas of popular tourist spots in the city being cordoned off and evacuated.
Portixol has become extremely popular over recent years, especially with city residents because of the nearby beach which this year was awarded its Blue Flag for the very first time.
The Plaza Mayor, lined by bars and terraces, is also a popular spot for residents and holiday makers on a Sunday and is also a target right in the very heart of the capital. After the blast, the square, later visited by government chiefs, was immediately evacuated and the area closed off to all traffic and pedestrians.