Palma.—A month and a half after being beaten by a recurring knee injury in the second round of Wimbledon, former world number one Rafael Nadal has returned to training but he admitted this week that he is still not one hundred percent and will not be playing the Masters 1000 in Cincinnati as the season builds up to the U.S. Open.

However, despite a punishing training and recuperation schedule, on Friday night he joined King Juan Carlos of Spain for dinner in Portals.
Rafael was accompanied by his girlfriend Francisca Perello and members of the medical team who are helping him overcome his injury, and their wives.
The appearance of Nadal in Portals caused a major sensation with fans, both local and foreign, keen to have photographs taken with him as he made his way to and from the restaurant.

During the dinner the King was keen to express his admiration and support for Nadal through this tough time and his desire that Nadal's injury is quickly overcome.

According to sources at the royal household, it was the King who telephoned Nadal on Thursday to invite him to dinner as a sign of support for the tennis player.

Earlier in the week Nadal said that training is going well, but he and the team are taking things “day by day” and that his main priority is to regain full fitness, however long it takes. “The important thing is to recover fully and end the year well,” he said.

Comments

To be able to write a comment, you have to be registered and be logged in.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.