All the victims reported stomach ache, vomiting and diarrhea. The problem has been attributed to oysters consumed at a seafood fair held in Palma between November 28 and last Tuesday. However, the health authorities will send samples to Madrid for analysis on Monday, to confirm the source of the outbreak. The ministry opened an investigation as soon as the first cases were reported and has asked the organisers of the fair, which was visited by 30'000 people, to present all its papers connected with suppliers. A spokeswoman for the fair rejected claims that oysters or shellfish were to blame, or that the shellfish could have gone off because of delays caused by the port blockade. The spokeswoman said that if the shellfish had been off, there would have been thousands of victims, including herself, as she had eaten oysters every day. She said that the gasto-enteritis could have been caused by a virus, the heat, or the fact that some people are not used to eating oysters and may be allergic to them.
The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of mallorcadailybulletin.com.
Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted');
mallorcadailybulletin.com - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.
Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.