Neither, he added, should people attempt to dry clothes by placing them close to the gas heater.
In fact, he advised against putting braseros in any place where they can't be seen as it is all too easy to forget about them when turning out the lights and going to bed. Advice was given to place protective guards up in front of fireplaces and that fires should never be allowed to burn alone at night or when there was no one in the house.
Children, the spokesman said, should never be allowed to play near fireplaces or be alone in a room where a fire is burning.
Neither, he added should they be allowed to handle lit candles or matches. Before householders start to burn fires at home, the Emergency department recommended they check the chimney is not obstructed in any way.