Higher discounts have not produced the desired effect for local shop owners. | JOAN TORRES

0

By Francisco Cortez

The summer sales season in Majorca is not going according to plan, said 60 percent of small business owners questioned in a poll conducted by Pimeco.

Palma.—The entity that oversees small and medium businesses in the Balearics spoke with local businesses to understand how the trade was developing following the July sales.
And the response was overwhelmingly negative.
Some 60 percent confirmed sales were below expectations, with 35 percent of those were blaming it on the lack of customers and the remaining 65 percent on the lack of spending power of those visitors.
Asked to compare this July’s sales with the same period last year, 38 percent replied they managed to sell more than last year, 32 percent said they have sold the same, while 30 percent confirmed their businesses suffered with sales actually going down.