18-02-2011AENA

By Francisco Cortez

A total of 4,6 million passengers flew to the Balearics with a  “low cost”  airline during the first 11 months of this year, making it the country’s second most popular low cost destinaion.

Palma.—Only Catalonia registered higher figures with a total of 8,7 million passengers.
According to a report revealed yesterday by Spain’s Ministry of Tourism, 30,7 million passengers used “low cost” airlines to travel to and from Spain during  the first 11 months of the year, an increase of over 10 percent compared with the same period last year.
Leading the surge in number of passengers choosing to travel via “low costs” were the British and Germans, comprising 37.8 percent and 11.1 percent of the total market respectively.
The number of British passengers rose sharply  this year (over  11 million passengers), 6.7 percent more than in 2013.
Italy, France and Belgium followed on the list, all registering higher figures compared with last year, contrasting with the Swedish market, which contracted  by 3.9 percent.
“Low cost” airlines were responsible for the transport of 48 percent of the country’s total visitors, with  scheduled airlines transporting the remaining 52 percent, the equivalent to 33,2 million passengers.
Irish owned airline Ryanair, easyJet and Vueling were the preferred choices when it came to booking flights. The report also revealed that 80 percent of the total amount of visitors to Spain up until last month  came  from other European Union countries.

Comments

To be able to write a comment, you have to be registered and be logged in.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.