The leader of the conservative People’s Party attended a religious service for the late dictator Francisco Franco.
Spain in 1977 passed an amnesty law pardoning political crimes committed during the conflict.
Spain's coalition government to prosecute Franco-era crimes.
The bill will create two official remembrance days to honour the victims and the exiled, and an official registry of the victims will be set up.
The statue, erected three years after Franco's death in 1978, commemorated his role as commander of the Spanish Legion in the Rif War.
- Britons could be denied entry to the Balearics next year
- British residents taking drastic action over driving licences
- Palma delays because of air-traffic control and Ryanair strikes
- First day of Ryanair strike could affect 73,200 passengers on Friday
- Spanish government announces new anti-crisis measures