By Humphrey Carter

PALMA
TODAY'S 24-hour stoppage by a handful of members of ground staff working for the Acciona Airport Services is not expected to cause too much disruption to the first busy weekend of the peak summer season at Palma airport.

Sources for the Spanish Airport Authority AENA reported yesterday that during the four-day period which started yesterday morning, Palma airport is going to handle 3'048 flights and just under half-a-million passengers.

The Balearics' three main airports, including Minorca and Ibiza, have a total of 4'600 flight scheduled as the region copes with its busiest weekend yet of the summer.

Over the past week, school holidays have been starting across Europe, including here in Spain, and airports and ports have stepped up to peak season mode with extra personnel deployed to all ports of entry and exit to deal with the influx of holiday makers and the increase in movements by residents.

Ferry companies are also expecting a busy weekend.
Yesterday, a Balearic government spokesperson said that today's industrial action by a small number of Acciona ground staff will either be called off at the last minute or, should the stoppage go ahead, have a minimal affect on Palma airport.

Last weekend's two-hour stoppages on Saturday and Sunday passed off practically unnoticed. According to the government, 80 percent of Acciona staff and their representing unions have approved a new deal proposed last week and it is only the remaining 20 percent and members of the CGT union which are opposed to accepting the deal.

Comments

To be able to write a comment, you have to be registered and be logged in.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.