There is the story of the Austrian chemist, Albert von Filek, who claimed to be able to mix vegetable extracts and “secret ingredients” with water and create fuel. Albert already had form as a swindler by the time he presented his wonder technique to the Franco regime. If due diligence had indicated Albert’s previous, it must have been ignored, as Albert offered the post-Civil War Spain the chance to become an oil-producing power.
Water into oil and the illusion of self-sufficiency
What is Mallorca self-sufficient in at present? Potatoes and nuts - that’s all.
Also in News
- Spain fights to end 90 day rule and also "ban" on British seasonal workers
- Yet more red tape! Spain now issues official invitations to make your visit easier
- Ryanair emergency landing in Palma
- Take note Spain! Surge in interest in French properties after 90 day rule is relaxed for Britons
- Jumbo jet makes emergency landing in Palma