The third and fourth floors were badly affected.

28-04-2018Rubén De Hoyos

Residents from a block in the Paseo de Illetes, Cas Català needed to be evacuated when a fire broke out at around quarter to six yesterday morning.

As a precautionary measure, the Majorca Fire Service evacuated the occupants of all 36 flats. Those from the first and second floors and the attic were able to return, but the occupants of the third and fourth floors - 24 flats in all - were unable to.

Calvia town hall arranged for eight people - six adults and two children - to be put up at a nearby hotel. Mayor Alfonso Rodríguez and the councillor for welfare, Mayte Albertí, went to the scene in order to coordinate efforts with local police. Other residents were able to go to families or friends.

Seven fire engines from Calvia, Inca and Llucmajor were used to control the fire. A fridge is believed to have been the source of the fire. Six people needed to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Comments

The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of mallorcadailybulletin.com.

Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted');

mallorcadailybulletin.com - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.

Warning

Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.

* Mandatory fields

S. / Hace 9 months

The Grenfell Tower Block in London, was caused by a fridge. The Authorities fo Mallorca, must put out a general warning to the whole Islands residents, to check their Fridge, and Fridge Freezers for potential fire risks. Some have a backing, that becomes a potential fire hazard. Consultation with the Fire Service, to announce a safety warning, is an urgent requirement.

+0-