Tony Blair was right to congratulate the British forces in his speech on Sunday night but he must also remember that they are being asked to carry-out attacks with poor equipment and a lack of funding. Since Blair came to power five years ago British troops have been sent to the Balkans, Sierra Leone, East Timor and now they are involved in attacks against Afghanistan. Meanwhile the defence budget has not increased in fact it has contracted.
Prepared for world role
Also in Holiday
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close", British ambassador gives update
- British driving licence deal could be "tied to agreement over Gibraltar"
- Hundreds gather in Palma to denounce "tourism intensification"
- Heavy rains and big drop in temperatures forecast for Thursday
- Birthday celebrations for Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones