... for the declining number of the Dunkirk rescue veterans able to take part in this week's 70th anniversary of the evacuation of 338'000 Briitsh and allied soldiers from the Dunkirk beaches by a variety of boats including many small craft manned by their owners in 1940. Only about three per cent of those rescued are alive today and few will be fit for a 75th anniversary. Among those at the commemoration was Eric Woodroffe, now 92, who made six Channel crossings in the Medway Queen, a river-going paddle steamer, to the Dunkirk beaches.
Also in Holiday
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close", British ambassador gives update
- British driving licence deal could be "tied to agreement over Gibraltar"
- Hundreds gather in Palma to denounce "tourism intensification"
- U.S. super model takes refuge in Mallorca after being linked with Brad Pitt
- Opening next year on Mallorca. The new super luxury resort