Israel caused an international furore when its commandos shot dead nine protesters on a Turkish ship bound with humanitarian supplies for Gaza which Israel has been blockading. The commandos boarded the ship before dawn and opened fire when some of those on board tried to repel them with sticks and, according to the Israelis, knives. Most governments deplored Israel's action but America persuaded the UN Security Council not to lay the blame exclusively on Israel.
THE WEEK THAT WAS
Also in Holiday
- British driving licence deal could be "tied to agreement over Gibraltar"
- Hundreds gather in Palma to denounce "tourism intensification"
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close," British ambassador gives update
- British tourist who was in a coma after attack by a Magalluf doorman
- Heavy rains and big drop in temperatures forecast for tomorrow