In his first TV address from the Oval Office of the White House, President Obama spoke of the disastrous implications of the Gulf of Mexico oil-spill and criticised both BP and US regulatory bodies. The following day he met the BP chairman and reached agreement for a US$20bn BP-funded but independently administered compensation fund for those affected by the oil-spill; he also got BPs agreement not to pay shareholder dividends in 2010.
THE WEEK THAT WAS
Also in Holiday
- Rafa´s wife is doing just fine, says sister
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close", British ambassador gives update
- New Nomad visa could result in surge of foreign families moving to the island
- Opening next year on Mallorca. The new super luxury resort
- U.S. super model takes refuge in Mallorca after being linked with Brad Pitt