With the brief return of a blast of winter to Majorca last week I thought it would be an appropriate moment to look at seasonal events. But actually the first one is an event which took place during the very unseasonal, balmy spell last month. Apparently it was the warmest February in Spain for 55 years! The Rally Sol de Ponent is a significant marker in the motoring calendar during the early part of each year. This event is known colloquially as the Rally Andratx because the stages are centred on the town, fanning out to and from Estellencs, Capdella, Sa Coma and Sant Elm. Those roads in the foothills of the Tramuntana mountains make perfect rallying material where the ups and downs, twists and turns are an integral part of the fun. Organised by Escuderia Mallorca Competició, it is one of the annual series of competitive events forming the Balearic Rally Championship. Fairly serious racing on closed roads makes it an interesting spectator and competitor event. There is a regularity section too for those less inclined to risk bumping into the scenery. Amateurs they might be, but the eleven events forming the championship are taken quite seriously as you will see from the photos here.
Focus on Cars
A Winter in...?
Also in Holiday
- Spain fights to end 90 day rule and also "ban" on British seasonal workers
- Yet more red tape! Spain now issues official invitations to make your visit easier
- Ryanair emergency landing in Palma
- Take note Spain! Surge in interest in French properties after 90 day rule is relaxed for Britons
- Jumbo jet makes emergency landing in Palma