OLD and new statistics are the breeding ground for many stories. We know that in the time of the 1868 to 1875 British Consul in Majorca, there were 39 resident British people. Minorca and its deep harbour were much more important to the UK in those days. So many changes in 150 years which mean Majorca now has an almost 50% population (approx. 500,000) of incomers. The changes from the rural, feudal Mallorca, to the place we know today is an absolute fascination. Farmers made the transition to becoming hoteliers and the talents of the workers of Inca and Soller created the Factory lands. This is all without the tourism stories and the discovery of the island by the famous and the infamous from around 1950.
Humans of Mallorca get around…
Take your papers with you and sit and wait for you turn
Also in Holiday
- British man has 100,000 pound watch ripped from his wrist in central Palma
- 11 million tourists to ditch their Spanish holidays due to higher costs
- Indian summer in Mallorca, but will it last?
- Cyclist dies in Mallorca's mountains
- Spain is the only country in Europe which still has Covid restrictions for British travellers