THE mother of King Juan Carlos, who returned from decades in exile to see her son restore Spain's monarchy, was laid to rest yesterday with full state honours. The coffin was borne in a horse-drawn carriage through Madrid while thousands of people lined the streets. The Duchess died on Sunday on the Canary Island of Lanzarote where she was staying with other members of the royal family. Her death has shocked Spain and thousands of mourners watched as the casket was led away. The Escorial monastery in the mountains near Madrid contains the remains of Spain's monarchs from the last 400 years.
MOTHER OF SPANISH KING LAID TO REST
Also in News
- A night of heavy rain and destruction in Mallorca
- British driving licence deal could be "tied to agreement over Gibraltar"
- Work from home in Spain with a new five year VISA and you even get tax breaks!
- When your English is only good enough for Magalluf!
- Spanish fury over British paella sandwich! Follow our perfect paella recipe