The dispute which is raging between the city council and owners of four bars in the Playa de Palma closed by the council intensified yesterday with an announcement that they would continue their protests. For the second night running staff and clients of the four bars blocked traffic and protested in Arenal and yesterday they demonstrated outside the Palma town hall. A spokesman for the owners of the four bars said that they were considering further protest actions which may not be so law-abiding. Despite the wave of protests yesterday the city council remains adamant that the four bars must remain closed for the next five days because they had broken council noise regulations. But the city council was accused of favouring the interests of other bars in the area by imposing the closure orders. On Tuesday night 4'000 German tourists and bar staff clashed with police. A spokesman for the bar owners denied a police report which alleged that the protestors had been given free beer and food.
Wave of protests over bar closures
Also in News
- Rafa´s wife is doing just fine, says sister
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close", British ambassador gives update
- New Nomad visa could result in surge of foreign families moving to the island
- Yes, it does snow in Spain...even in September!
- Home sharing takes off in Mallorca as the cheap alternative to owning a property