Thousands of British tourists flew into Majorca in the early hours of this morning, taking advantage of the midnight end to the general strike. An estimated 6'000 holidaymakers were due to arrive in the early hours, effectively beating the general strike which failed to bring the island to a standstill but caused much disruption. There were some incidents at the airport in the early hours of yesterday morning as strikers attempted to halt the arrival of coaches. But overall the general strike passed off peacefully in the Balearics despite some incidents involving pickets. On the mainland there were some serious problems. Unions claimed that the strike had been a massive success, while the government said it had been a failure.
The great majorcan airlift
Also in News
- Robbie Williams rocks and shocks the Balearics
- British residents refused travel discount, charged 600 euros for Palma-Barcelona return flight
- Michael Schumacher will need large medical team in Mallorca
- Luxury yacht catches fire off Formentera
- Covid, reminder if you are travelling from the UK to the Balearics