By Humphrey Carter A seven-year-old boy and his mother were airlifted to a special burns unit in Barcelona yesterday while his younger brother was being treated in Palma's Son Dureta hospital after a gas heater exploded in flames at their Arenal home. Doctors at Son Dureta where seven-year-old Miguel Angel was initially treated said that he was suffering from 60 to 70 degree burns. His 25-year-old mother Adela suffered burns to her face as she smothered two-year-old Jose close to her chest to protect him from the flames. He escaped any serious injury and was given the all clear by doctors yesterday afternoon. He was believed to have been in the care of family members last night. Accidents investigators remained at the scene yesterday afternoon, but it is thought that tragedy struck when the seven-year-old tried to light the gas fire, next to a small cot in which his younger brother was lying. It would appear that as he lit the fire, the gas fire burst into flames, engulfing him immediately. Their mother was in the kitchen at the time preparing breakfast. She rushed into the lounge and grabbed her two-year-old, suffering burns to her face and hands, before trying to help Miguel and getting them all out of the house. Fire fighters and police were at the scene within minutes, closing off the road, evacuating the building and tackling the fire at the rear of the property.