ACCORDING to initial investigations into the butane gas explosion which injured three people and destroyed a chalet in the port of Alcudia on Monday, the blast was caused by a faulty gas cooker, the rubber tube of which had expired.. Carl Wall, 49, was flown to the special burns unit at the Vall d'Hebron hospital in Barcelona because of the serious nature of his injuries, which included burns to 66 per cent of his body. Yesterday, his condition was reported to be extremely serious but stable.
A hospital spokesman said that he was unconscious and on assisted breathing.
According to the Guardia Civil, Wall rented a room from Linda Feldman and John McGuire, who were released from Son Dureta hospital on Monday.
There was a gas cooker in his room so that he could prepare meals.
The report said that the cooker had not been officially serviced since 1994, and the rubber tube which connected the cooker to the butane gas bottle had expired. It also appears that some repairs had been made to the cooker. It is believed that Wall did not realise that there had been a leak and there was accumulated gas in the room and when he switched on the light, shortly before 9am, there was an explosion, which left him buried in the rubble and badly injured. Only a few walls of the chalet in Calle Perdiu were left standing.
The gas company recommends that installations should be checked every four years.