A popular beach front bar in the small resort of S'Illot on the east coast just north of Port Cristo was completely gutted by fire yesterday morning.
According to fire brigade sources, the fire appears to have been started by a short circuit and the flames spread through the wooden structure extremely quickly.

Scores of neighbours joined the battle to fight the flames but the blaze caught very quickly and by the time the fire brigade arrived, the beach bar was a giant ball of flames throwing a giant column of thick smoke high above the resort.

The primary concern of the fire fighters was that the establishment was empty and then preventing the flames from catching on neighbouring buildings. A full investigation into the fire has been opened.