Spanish police said on Tuesday they had arrested three men over the killing of Samuel Luiz, who was beaten to death.
The 24-year-old nursing assistant was beaten near a nightclub in the early hours of Saturday.
Spaniards will no longer have to undergo medical and psychological examinations and years of hormone treatment.
Some feminists argue that broadening access to gender identity could dilute women's fight.
- Spain fights to end 90 day rule and also "ban" on British seasonal workers
- Yet more red tape! Spain now issues official invitations to make your visit easier
- Ryanair emergency landing in Palma
- Take note Spain! Surge in interest in French properties after 90 day rule is relaxed for Britons
- Jumbo jet makes emergency landing in Palma