More than 800 people were confirmed dead and many hundreds more missing after a massive 8.8 earthquake struck many parts of Chile. The government declared a state of catastrophe and ordered the army to stop widespread looting.
THE WEEK THAT WAS
Also in Holiday
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close," British ambassador gives update
- British driving licence deal could be "tied to agreement over Gibraltar"
- Hundreds gather in Palma to denounce "tourism intensification"
- Heavy rains and big drop in temperatures forecast for Thursday
- Birthday celebrations for Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones