The start of the Civil War was less than three months away. In late April 1936 in Santanyi, a child was born. His name was Llorenç Vidal Vidal. Twenty-eight years later, he was to establish what, in its Catalan acronym, is known as DENIP - Dia Escolar de la No-violència i la Pau, the School Day of Non-Violence and Peace. An initiative that is independent of governments, it pioneered non-violent and pacifying education, a model that is practised all over the world. The official date for this corresponds with the death of Mahatma Gandhi - the thirtieth of January - but it can also be the thirtieth of March; it depends on the educational calendar in different countries.
Llorenç Vidal: Man Of Peace
Also in Holiday
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close", British ambassador gives update
- British driving licence deal could be "tied to agreement over Gibraltar"
- Hundreds gather in Palma to denounce "tourism intensification"
- Rafa´s wife is doing just fine, says sister
- U.S. super model takes refuge in Mallorca after being linked with Brad Pitt