The Common Poppy (Papaver rhoeas) has other names such as Corn Poppy, Corn Rose and Field Poppy. It is an erect annual plant, forming a seed bank that can last many years in the soil waiting for disturbance, where it can grow up to 28 inches in height. Stems hold single flowers which are large, with four vivid red petals, most commonly with a black spot at their base.
The herdsman and the poppy
The petals contain a red dye used in some medicines and wine
Also in Holiday
- EasyJet adds two new UK-to-Mallorca routes for 2024
- Update: The 90-day rule for Britons in Spain your views keep flooding in " When we’re in Mallorca we also support the local economy"
- Cala d'Or is UK’s top travel destination for 2024 as Mallorca remains number one
- Famous old club to become part of new Palma hotel
- Two more Michelin stars for Mallorca