An unusual holiday season. At the start of the year the Balearic government was telling anyone that would listen that it would be a record season, probably one of the best ever. Fast forward the clock and the reality is that it has been a season when the islands welcomed a record number of tourists but their spending power has been low, according to initial estimates. It was also a holiday season which saw the first backlash against tourism, with minor protests taking place in Palma. British tourism will have dropped this season, the fall in the value of sterling has made the Balearics an expensive holiday destination for some. I suspect that this will be a trend which will continue over the coming months, especially as Turkey and other competing resorts offer great value for money.
Also in News
- Rafa´s wife is doing just fine, says sister
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close", British ambassador gives update
- Opening next year on Mallorca. The new super luxury resort
- New Nomad visa could result in surge of foreign families moving to the island
- U.S. super model takes refuge in Mallorca after being linked with Brad Pitt