The present Balearic government will go down in history as the one which introduced a tourist tax. In some ways they should be congratulated because the tax was introduced two years ago with few problems and what is more there was no real backlash. They have got so confident that they have decided to increase the rate of the tax for next year. It appears that few tourists have a problem with paying a surcharge to come on holiday here. I am not in favour of a tourist tax because I believe that there are easier and less controversial ways for the local authorities to raise money and at the end of the day we are not talking large sums. Even with the doubling of the surcharge next year the government will raise 100 million euros, which is just a drop in the ocean when you consider than the Balearic government budget is measured in billions. But, it is too late now; we have a tourist tax and it is paid.
Also in News
- Rafa´s wife is doing just fine, says sister
- Bank clerk accused of stealing foreigner´s two million euro fortune in Palma
- Yes, it does snow in Spain...even in September!
- New Nomad visa could result in surge of foreign families moving to the island
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close", British ambassador gives update