A MAJORCAN Socialist and left-wing coalition on Manacor Town Council has officially complained to the Guardia Civil's Nature Protection Service (Seprona) that the ruling party on the council is doing nothing to stop the illegal burning of waste material in the municipal cemetery. Councillor Andreu Pascual raised the issue in yesterday's plenary session saying that the council was breaking its own bylaws by installing a burner in the cemetery, an act which is totally prohibited. According to Pascual, the council could be fined 1'500 euros for serious infraction of park management bylaws. He said that the municipal cemetery needed to invest in a separate oven to burn material that has been associated with the grave sites. Reportedly, not only is there illegal waste burning taking place in the cemetery but there is also a growing dump of unwanted building site materials and broken household electrical products.
Sparks fly over waste burning in Manacor cemetery
Also in News
- Rafa´s wife is doing just fine, says sister
- Bank clerk accused of stealing foreigner´s two million euro fortune in Palma
- Yes, it does snow in Spain...even in September!
- New Nomad visa could result in surge of foreign families moving to the island
- Deal with Spain over British driving licences is "close", British ambassador gives update