0

By Humphrey Carter

A38-year-old man was in a serious, but stable, condition in Son Dureta Hospital last night after being overcome by smoke when a fire swept through part of his Palma apartment early yesterday morning.

The alarm was raised at 6.50am and it appears that the fire started in the kitchen of the property on Calle Arxiduc Lluis Salvador.
According to the victim's flat mates, he had been making breakfast at the time and appears to have accidentally left a frying pan over the flames and, due to the lack of oxygen in the closed kitchen, the room quickly filled up with smoke which over came the 38-year-old.

A total of 10 fire fighters and a 061 team of paramedics attended the scene and the victim was found unconscious on the floor of the kitchen which was totally gutted by the fire along with a neighbouring bedroom.

It took the paramedics a good hour to reanimate the victim before rushing him to hospital where he was said to be responding well to treatment last night. The flat mates, a young couple, escaped unhurt and a full inquiry has been opened.