RAMON Socias, the central government representative to the Balearics, announced that there would be more National Police officers on duty on the Playa de Palma this summer, to reduce the sensation of insecurity experienced by traders and residents, even though, he insisted, delinquency in the area dropped by six per cent last year. He was speaking after the meeting of police chiefs and representatives of the tourist sector which has taken place at the start of the season for the past six years. Socías also said that a Security Committee for the Playa de Palma had been set up, in which the Palma and Llucmajor councils are involved.
He also said that a meeting has been set up with neighbourhood associations to discuss security.
The neighbourhood associations, like the traders, had complained of a feeling of insecurity, however Socías said that this was a “subjective” reality, which had to be combatted by a greater police presence. But, he insisted, delinquency has dropped in recent years.
He pointed out that while in 2005 there had been 4'737 complaints for crimes and misdemeanours, this figure had dropped to 6.4 per cent by last year.
He also pointed out that Operation Summer had started earlier this year (on May 1) and will continue until the end of September.
Socías stressed the importance of improving co-ordination between the National Police and the Local Police forces, and added that the Palma city council is preparing bylaws to limit the activities of prostitutes and ”shell and pea” conmen. Calvia will also have improved security this summer.
Mayor Carlos Delgado, accompanied by deputy mayor for citizen security Bartomeu Bonafe and Local Police chief Jaume Marcó, presented the 44 tourist police officers who will be on duty this summer. They also presented the new security camera control centre at the Local Police station, and 12 new security cameras whichhave been installed in Paguera. The control centre has been improved, with five new 42 inch plasma monitors which provide better pictures.